26 September, 2006

Talent Trees to Troubles to Treants

Our Burning Crusade talent tree has been updated today with the latest round of changes. For example, the rumored Divine Illumination nerf mentioned earlier is implemented and confirmed to be real now. Also several icons have been replaced in the tree and given new, unique ones. I don't see any visible changes beyond that.

Druids were given their talents today too. Many probably know that my other char is a Druid, and, speaking strictly as a 100% Feral Druid (zero points in Restoration beyond Furor) I just find the 41st talent in the Feral tree to be...unappealing. Much of the stuff before that seems relatively good though.

To be frank, I can't decide whether I should make my Druid or my Paladin my main when Burning Crusade comes out. When I finish my Judgment Set and get a relatively good 1h and shield I consider my Pally to be finished. I really have no desire to obtain Redemption - I'm more or less an all-around guy when it comes to gear. Avengers would be cool though. I like to be able to not bother switching gear between fights unless it involves resists. I know it's kinda lame, but, when it comes to spending DKP on gear and all that stuff, I would rather spend it on that benefits me both in raids and soloing than either-of.

The thing is that I'm three pieces away from completing the Judgement set and I lost the breastplate in last BWL this Friday because the loot distributor forgot I sent a tell (no joke). When he announced who won it, the Pally looted the breastplate pretty quick. What was worse is that I had enough DKP to lock him out, but it wasn't realized until afterwards. It hurt a lot and I didn't feel so well throughout the entire weekend... I didn't go frenzied at them or anything since I knew it was a mistake. I know both guys very well and I could never get mad at them. But I still couldn't stop feeling like shit though, so I had to calm myself down by listening to some music. Downing Sartura the following day for the first time cheered me up though. I know it'll drop again eventually, and I still need the boots and the belt anyway. So by the time I get both of those it might drop once more. By the way, I think next time it does I'm going to just ninja it immediately for jokes. Haha.

With my Druid, since I just don't take it to raids that much, I've just been trying to get to Exalted with Stormpike. Mainly for Don Julio's Band and the Unstoppable Force. Thing with my Druid is that he's 100% Feral and I'm enjoying PVPing with him like crazy. It's just insanely fun to stealth around and smack cloth down from behind (Feral Druids really are just anti-cloth in general). Funny thing is that, people assume that Druids are weak and can't do much so they just don't seem to pay attention to me that much initially. It's not until they see that I top the kill charts or until I've pestered them much that they start to pay attention to me. Man...stealthing in this game must be one of the most fun things to do. I can stealth so good I get surprised at it myself - I got improved stealthing through the Feral talent combined the Night Elf racial. It's increadible, really. One time in AV me, another Druid and Rogue stealthed past Horde's defenses and captured one of their flags. Pretty cool since I healed, the Druid was tank and the Rogue was DPS. Holy stealth trinity FTW.

I enjoy playing my Druid more (I find the class to be more fun overall), but I simply have invested more time in my Paladin. Also I just don't find the Druid Feral tree as appealing compared to the Balance tree. I've also always wanted to be able to summon Treants! We'll see what happens before the expansion does come out I guess.

16 Comments:

Blogger Faytl said...

I have been playing on my warrior. DPS and Tanking? Who would have thought of it?

5:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm waiting in nervous anticipation for the Hunter spells and talents, as my other 60 is a Hunter. I can see it going two directions - we get nerfed to hell thanks to all the bitching, or we'll get some decent buffs. I don't see Hunters pulling ahead of other classes with any major buffs, as I don't think it's necessary. The Hunter is a well designed, and well balanced class.

6:15 AM  
Blogger Mastgrr said...

Dunno, I see Hunter's getting the same treatment as Rogues for some reason.

6:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few things I'm brainstorming in the way of deep tree talents (i.e. 41 point):

Survival - some sort of camouflage talent that actually makes you difficult to see in PvP (not a stealth per se, think Predator or active camo), and reduces your aggro radius in PvE.

Beast Mastery - ability to control a second pet simultaneously. As far as trained spells go, perhaps a new aspect allowing water walking.

Marksmanship - Point Blank - eliminate the dead zone for ranged attacks. Perhaps also an armor piercing shot similar to the one already employed by various NPC's.

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also have a 60 druid, which I rolled and made my main for a while shortly before the paladin review(when they went silent on us I got nervous and decided to have a backup plan. Good idea, it turned out). I like the resto tree quite a bit. My biggest complaint with the druid is simply that the paladin fits my playstyle better(though the druid is a better designed class). But with the cool additions to resto, and so far nothing pvp wise that cheers me up for paladins(I do both pvp and raiding), I might find that my druid becomes more fun to play.

Or I could roll a shaman. Some of the new talents will make them pretty useful pve wise, and we all know they can be quite effective in pvp.

I guess the best part about the expansion is that since leveling up will make you more powerful than your gear can, there is no real reason to stick with a character just because they've been your main for longer. You are free to play the class you enjoy most.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Squiggle said...

41 point useless talent ... Yay.

11:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ow :(

Sorry to hear about that. Something happened to one of my friend's recently. Lok'Amir had dropped and she had lost (in 2nd place point-wise) so she went to a convience store sad. Came back to the game ~20 mins later with everyone telling her to loot it. Turns out the 1st place had passed for her but had to rake it when she was away.

No worries though as she got one 2 weeks later.

1:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My main used to be a pally and he is the character I've spent the most time on. I've since leveled a priest and mage to 60 and now have a warlock at 54. I've got more time played on my pally than the other three combined, but I came to the conclusion a while back that I just enjoy playing other classes so much more. My pally is now gathering a thick layer of dust; there is no sense in playing him just because I've dedicated more time to him.

"Many people feel obligated to go to a movie despite not really wanting to, because doing otherwise would be wasting the ticket price; they feel they passed the point of no return. This is sometimes called the 'sunk cost fallacy.' Economists would label this behavior 'irrational'"

Cut your losses and make a decision based on what you enjoy. This is a game after all.

6:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OT, but does anyone know if Avenger's Shield will be a 'physical damage' type spell like hammer of wrath? I'm just wondering if our physical crit rate will effect it, along with getting the double damage from physical crits.

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this has happened before to memebers of my guild. there is still hope of you getting your judgement BP if your guild acts quickly. they must submit a ticket saying that the item in question was looted by the wrong person and who the items really belongs to. im not sure how it works after that but we have had this happen twice now and both times it was resolved with no complications.

3:34 AM  
Blogger Mastgrr said...

Thanks anonymous. I didn't want to ask him to do that unless he offered me to though.

It'll drop again. I'm not that worried anymore. I've calmed down.

5:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, I got my Judgement breastplate our second Nefarian kill here @ Vek'nilash. It seemed appropriate to tell you!

4:23 PM  
Blogger Mastgrr said...

What the heck...? Who's going to post next, my mom? :D

4:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mastgrr this is you from the future, DO go outside, before they nerf that in emergency patch 1.12.1!

11:11 PM  
Blogger Mastgrr said...

Thanks Lan, it's OK though. I'm over it :) I'm happy that you got it too since you don't raid as much on Alliance as you used to.

For you who don't know what I was talking about: Lan is a friend from my guild. Never told him about this blog. Davaeorn is a friend from my high school. I think I told him about this a year ago or something like that. The internet is a tiny, tiny world!

To the Anonymous guys: I'm just happy you guys spelled my name correctly! Haha.

3:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no, this really is you from the future! blizzard nerfed my memory so i can't remember my login!

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home