01 March, 2007

Go And Riot, Association Football-Style!

WoWInsider has a post on how blogger Relmstein's conclude that class riots seem to actually have an effect.

Now, I've actually thought about this myself. The first time I felt like a had an immediate effect was when Shaman's got their Windfury totem nerfed but subsequently reverted. Yeah, they reverted it cause Pallies had superior buffs. But still, it was kind of a weird solution cause Windfury Totem did not make up for the Pally buffs anyway. In my view what Blizzard seemed to do was just please the angry mob.

However, after that I started to pay attention to things I began to think about this more. However, I've always kept in mind that there's a difference between participating in the behemoth mentality and just straight-up complaining about legitimate concerns.

For example recently in our case: the planned nerfs to Forbearance and Avenging Wrath completely lacked legitimacy because it failed on solving what it was sought to fix. This is different from Warriors nag the crap out of how "poor" they have it because Pallies (who have less health in an end-game where 2k more HP can mean everything) and Druids (who can't block or parry and suck healers dry) can tank just as well.

Anyways, nice to see though that despite what many people claim, Blizzard do take your words in to concern. The big deal is however whether its due to fear of the angry mob or not.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm betting it has to do with account cancellations more than angry posts. They can probably see how many people turn autobilling off, and if say, 1000 paladins cancel in one day, they know they have a problem.


-Vir

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You took the words right from my mouth.

Blizz can't handle an entire class vanishing off the face of the World.. of Warcraft overnight.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Relmstein said...

I'm not sure if Blizzard has anything in place to track the classes of people who quit. I know when you quit you can leave a reason but I doubt they check to see if you played a class recently nerfed.

Most likely Blizzard just uses the activity on the forums as a weathervane for when a "fix" is causing too much tension. This is really tough on the blue moderators but some of them are so jaded now their diamond-like exteriors can withstand a nuclear attack.

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure if Blizzard has anything in place to track the classes of people who quit. I know when you quit you can leave a reason but I doubt they check to see if you played a class recently nerfed.

They have a drop down to pick reasons when you quit, and one of them still says '1.9 paladin changes'. lol.

I'm guessing most people who quit leave a reason, and if they see cancellations go up quite a bit in one day they go to see what people are saying..

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home