06 December, 2006

This is Why I Love Playing my Pally

Man...I had such a great time tonight just fooling around. Even though I already had done it on the PTR, it's such an experience. I went 44 Holy and 7 Protection because that's what I felt was the best build that suited me. And now when trying it on in PVP I feel that my role is extremely powerful, much than previously. A very large contribution to that is the faster Holy Lights. Trust me, Light's Grace truly is amazing. And when you've got Illumination and 11% spell crit...daemn! Pumping them out is the same feeling of when using the shotgun together with bullet time in Max Payne.

Playing in PVP for me is like a game of Pokemon. If there are two or more Warriors I inspect them to see who has the best gear and "adopt" that one. By that I mean I cater to them by following them around. You know why I love Guardian's Favor? Because a 16 second Blessing of Freedom is extremely powerful. Even more on a Warrior. The blessings I use the most and end up switching between each other is Blessing of Freedom and Blessing of Sacrifice (to stop me from being crowd controlled). Otherwise I just spam Holy Lights and Cleanse the guy. If things get really tough I can pop my Scrolls and spam heals insanely fast or pop Divine Illumination when I'm low on mana.

Divine Illumination by a cool spell. My first reaction right now as I am typing this is that I probably underestimated it. Arguably the best use for it is when you you're out of mana. It cuts all spell costs in half so the mana you have left is virtually doubled for ten seconds. What's best about it is that the cost cut isn't just Holy Light or Flash of Light - it's everything! From Holy Shock to Hammer of Wrath and so forth. I could imagine it to be great if you're oom and want to activate Seal of Wisdom and judge Wisdom on the target when fighting elites to gain some of it back. I haven't run out of mana that often and I'm not that accustomed to using it just yet, but so far I've had very good use of it two-three times tonight. Is it still underpowered? Probably. 10 seconds is nothing. And for being a 41st talent its use is still very limited.

And Holy Shock...what can I say? The backbone of Holy's spell damage contribution. With Holy Guidance, probably increased spell damage coefficiency and and shorter cooldown it's more amazing than what it was before. Now it actually feels like a spell you can use when you want instead of having to tap your fingers due to the previous thirty second cooldown. I feel like I can DPS pretty darn well with it. Together with the buffed Seal of Righteousness my DPS is up and fairly good I'd say for being sword-and-bord!

So far I'm having a blast, and the arenas aren't up plus I haven't raided yet! So tomorrow will be the first day I "officially" arena and try this build out in a raid setting. Doing a pug Molten Core - which also by the looks of it will have a Pally that's going to tank some stuff too. And I'll definitely try to make certain that the arena group I'm in has a Warrior...

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol, I can't install the 2.01 patch because I don't have 4gig free on my secondary partition. Who would have thought I'd need a bigger than 9gig partition in total to be able to install and update WoW.

3:07 PM  
Blogger Brian T. Stuart said...

I went total Ret-nub (41 Ret/10 Prot) and ...WOW!

I went out and tested on the elite Dragonkin in the Burning Steppes (I have bench marks for pre-1.8, post-1.9, and post-1.12 (SotC improvement patch) for those Dragonkin). It was a complete joke.

The caster Dragonkin (wrymkin I think) weren't even a challenge. A fellow Paladin who went protection couldn't pull aggro because it died before he could get off a few blows.

The Warrior type ones were a little tougher but a complete joke in relation to before.

This is what being a Ret-nub is all about. I'm a rogue in Plate. Where a rogue has distract, I heal.

Cannot wait until this weekend for MC and BWL (and a little ZG for kicks).

4:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been a long time coming. I have been fucking shit up hardcore in BG's with Ret. My god, is it real? Am I dreaming?

Long time reader, and I'd like to say that it's about time the title of this blog changed. Loving the paladin again, every oiled up bit of it.

- Tai

7:33 PM  
Blogger Brian T. Stuart said...

The next question is "what now?"

We've been told that these new toys are going to be nerfed.

Well....

It would totally suck if we get used to these toys over the next month and a half and suddenly get nerfed to heck.

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about it mastgrr? are we going to see a Paladinrocks.com sometime in the future? I mean, especially if the CS and Vengeance nerfs stay repealed, the site title just doesn't seem appropriate anymore.

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get your GM weapons now guy! Ret won't be around forever and you can earn honor with it now so go to town and get it while its hot!

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did you break down that 44/7?

10:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just like to say your attitude is the same one I have with my Druid. I went 5/0/46 which means I'm a tree. I definitely 'adopt' a player in BG to heal. But I usually like picking Hunters and Rogues to keep alive rather than Warriors because everyone is always healing the warriors and ignore the other dps classes.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Mastgrr said...

Ephor - the title of the blog is just satire. Doesn't really imply anything other than make people go "huh?". Doesn't mean I don't call bull when it's deserved.

Jack Random, here's my build.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home