21 December, 2006

The Honor Grind - A Paladin Opportunity

If I've been absent from Paladinsucks.com over the past week, it's because I've been waiting in queues and striking faces in the battlegrounds. Unless you've been living in a cave, by now you should know all about the change to the honor system. If you're one of the aforementioned hermits, then here's how it works in a nutshell.

The first thing you'll notice is that you gain honor at an abysmally slow rate compared to before. That's because it's no longer relative in strength, but more of a currency now. You PvP and gain honor points, which you can spend - coupled with the required number of honor tokens from various battlegrounds - on all of the PvP gear that previously required a certain rank to gain access to.

What does this mean?
You no longer have to PvP 80 hours a week for 6 months to be able to snag a Grand Marshal's Claymore (or Battlehammer for the traditionalists, or the healing mace for you former EQ Clerics out there, etc.).

Two-handed Grand Marshal weapons cost 45,000 honor, with 1H weapons/shield/offhand items running half that at 22,250 honor. The entire Field Marshal's Aegis set is available for a total honor cost of just under 100,000, though you're able to pick and choose and earn it a piece at a time.

This is a rare and beautiful opportunity for those of you who have been grumbling about our presently poor raid itemization. The FM set is perhaps the best Retribution Paladin set out there (aside from Avengers) and you don't even need to be able to raid to get it.

Up and coming Paladin plebes will be able to snag the blue set and completely bypass the agonizing dungeon grind for Lightforge.

There's the obvious fact out there that expansion gear, including greens and blues, will start replacing raid gear very quickly. For hybrid classes like Paladins, though, we now have the ability to gear ourselves up once again in "leveling mode." From what I've heard via close sources participating in Beta, much of the questing to level is soloable or doable in small groups. We're going to want a well balanced set to do this, and the FM set fits the bill rather nicely. Paladins have a golden opportunity before them. If you can stand the queue times and jump into some premade groups before TBC hits shelves, I guarantee it will be time worth spent.

For those that are curious, I'm just over halfway to my GM Claymore, with plans to snag a few or all of the FM pieces after that. My AV queue is nearing, so this is all you'll be getting out of me for a while.

Strike faces diligently,
Vaelin

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel it's an excellent opportunity to bring up the fact that when BC hits retribution will be recieving a nerf. But in the mean time, it really is to a paladins benefit to spec it and pwn with it while we have it. Get your honor while you can!

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With the Field Marshall gear now comparatively easy to obtain, is there less incentives for paladins to stay in BWL/Naxx guilds if their priorities are gear that helps them in PvP?

This applies to lots of other classes as well. Before the honour nerf there really wasn't any point farming for Judgement, now the effort required is about equal.

I feel Blizzard, by implementing the new honour system, has rightly removed the pressure to be in a hardcore raiding guild to get decent gear, its now far easier to attain for every player. Huzzah!

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep, they have allowed players the option of joining or creating a "pure PvP" guild in the expansion. Finally, skilled PvPers will be able to own those nasty no-life raiders who were pretty terrible at PvP but still won more than they deserved due to their gear.

I'm thinking of starting up a PvP guild on frostmourne with a GM-equipment enhanced Warrior. Going to be looking for a hardcore retribution Paladin to pair with levelling from 60-70 and forming the core of the PvP team.

Anyone interested?

www.dreaded-jurisdiction.org

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to get back into my paladin now after this new honor revamp. I shevled my pally about a year ago once I realized how gear dependant melee classes are.

I do miss it thou, I've never been called the best "mage" on the server, but WOW, it sure was nice getting all the props playing my paladin.

Maybe if I can find him a good PvP guild since a paladin, to me at least, is only as fun as the group you're with.

2:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My guild has gone over from raiding to PvPing both as a group and solo. I have 33k honor, and am well on my way to the [Raiding Paladin's Best Shot at a 2h DPS Claymore].

I went from a complete noob in BGs to a PvP maven in one short week. Already bored with the grind, but its fun to chat with guildies in Vent while we pwn faces.

5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice.. im grinding AV at the moment and i never lewt anythink. thnx for the tip mate.

11:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I also have Sulfuras, the GM 2-handers isnt of much use, but I have started slow with getting the GM helmet, which have really good stats. A hot tip for everyone is to hold buying the shoulders unless you have immensly crappy shoulders, as one of the first quests in TBC will give you some 25str, 28 agi, 28 stam (about those numbers) blue shoulders for quest reward. They are ugly as hell, but very good and ALL palas and warriors have them =P

And for AV, dont spread the word, but looting and turning in is teh besth! I am exalted with IF, SW, have 2000 rep left with gnom and darn, and am honored with Exodar. With the system of rep "running over the brink" to the other factions after you are 999/1000 Exalted helps ofcourse.

Is rep to all factions in AV new? I remember used to only get for IF, and only I got rep for other factions as I was exalted with them. Now my GF are soon halfway to honored with Exodar, and she is not exalted with any faction..

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think everyone here should know, the new PTR is up. http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=59665996&pageNo=1&sid=1#0
On it the talents seem to be more in line with the beta. CS/Vengence are nerfed and the prot tree has the updated talents (changes to imp RF, spell warding, etc)

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

claymore or demolisher for a ret pally?

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice to see Retro Paladin epeen waving is at full circle, with a little bash thrown in at those who want to do more then be wannabe warriors.

I hope surf gets his wish and his ass handed to him by the raiders who pvp. This us versus them bs is old.

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home