13 April, 2007

Who's the Lackey Now?

In Lord of the Rings Online, Captains get a "pet" at level 10. They follow you around, carrying your banner that provides an AOE buff to you and your fellowship (group, in WoWspeak). They also help you kill things, and can even heal you at the expense of their own life. Here's mine. Isn't he cute?

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The Captain has little in common with the WoW Paladin, despite being the closest thing to a "Paladin" there is in the game. The only heal you start with most closely resembles Druids' Regrowth (small frontloaded burst heal with a HoT) and can heal your whole party, but can only be used after a kill. It's also instant-cast. The Captain is a melee class whose defined role in a party is to enhance other members and help focus fire. They can train to wear heavy armor at level 20 (cap is 50, I believe). It will be interesting to see how my Captain will be incorporated into group play.

The game is still in open beta (with a level cap of 15), but since I went ahead and preordered I will be able to keep my characters into live (game launches April 24th) as well as the benefit of a reduced subscription rate. I'll try and keep you guys posted about comparisons to WoW, and specifically to WoW Paladins. Competition is the refining fire of capitalism, after all.

5 Comments:

Blogger Vaelin said...

Note to Mastgrr - you may want to enable comment moderation for a few days.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=94203497&sid=1

Someone posted on the US Paladin realms about how Paladinsucks "confirmed" the nerf, and no shortage of haters are undoubtedly inbound.

-----------------------

Trolls post anonymously, usually with something highly inflammatory, for the sole purpose of getting people riled up. Kind of like you just did.

If you've read any of the past few posts, you'll note that this site presents different points of view. Mastgrr is making the best if the situation, and plays his Paladin with a Holy spec. He generally posts in support of that position, but still recognizes that the endgame situation in WoW is still a bit out of whack.

I bring the other point of view - standing firmly behind my belief that the class started out as a melee class, and should be viable in endgame as such. I refused to spec Holy in the expansion, and am now exploring various other manifestations of the Paladin archetype.

Originally, I held a similar opinion of LotRO. Having tried the game out in open beta, though, I was impressed and changed my mind.

5:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're going to want your money back in 2 months.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Mastgrr said...

Vaelin is on the spot. Just because I play Holy doesn't mean I hate Retribution or Protection. I enjoy the contrasts that both of us provide.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Vaelin said...

For someone who hates this site so much, you sure do come back a lot. No, I will not remove your butt-plug.

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jesus christ, what is with the WoW fanbois?

Indeed, activate comment moderation a bit. I can live with non-instant comments if I can skip these shitty comments.

Saw 300 tonight btw. Was a pleasure for all my film connesiure senses.

8:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home