12 April, 2007

A Reply

Pallymcbeal has written an interesting post about how Illumination will be nerfed. However I have some concerns:

1. The statement that Blizzard originally made the talent Illumination to make paladin healing raid viable is incorrect. The talent was in the game before we even were allowed to wear crit gear. Blizzard actually took time and effort to make sure that we could not obtain items that gave spell crit (Eye of the Beast, Cap of the Scarlet Savant).

When our talent review came at 1.9 about a year ago our class was basically redesigned completely: our healing aggro increased, Holy was changed from being support heal/semi-burst DPS/support in to a more defined pure healing tree and they took our talent Illumination (which is considered to be a concentrated class coolness ability which separates us from the other healers) and based our healing around that; hence the reitemization of giving us gear that focused more on spell crit and mp5.

2. Being able to heal longer than other healers is most definitely intended. We're the most basic healer in the game. We've got two spells. That is it. Nothing more. One that is mana efficient, one that is time efficient. We have no tricks beyond Lay on Hands or Holy Shock. A class like us, which has an extremely limited amount of healing tools which are all reactive only have the outlasting factor in our favor.

3. The notion of that Blizzard, due to working hours and lazyness, is going to take the quick solution to fix healer balance, is wrong. Yes, while Blizzard is a private entity who factor time vs cost, they so far as I know, always take the long route over the short one. Their philosophy is pretty rigid in that they have no problem fixing things even if it takes a long time.

4.. I really do not think Blizzard will nerf Paladin healing. If we lose our outlastingness, then we have nothing left. The only reason people consider us to be powerful today, rather than before, is that fights in the Burning Crusade are much longer. That work to our advantage, and we happened to scale better than the other classes. We're the exact same Paladin as pre-TBC. We've gained nothing.

5. The focus on Illumination is extremely unfairly attributed and singled out. I'm not saying Illumination is not a good talent, without a doubt it is, but as this guy points out spell crit is mainly favorable towards Holy Light (hence our talent Sanctified Light). It is our heal which favors speed over efficiency. Anyone who plays the Pally knows that tossing those Holy Lights certainly doesn't make you last very long.

Anyways, I still believe Paladin will remain relatively untouched, whereas Priests will gain buffs in the next patch. I have a hard time imagining the status of our healing if we're nerfed. I really find it hard to justify, despite what other people seem to think.

10 Comments:

Blogger Vaelin said...

If we lose our outlastingness, then we have nothing left.

If we get to that point, then it will be a good point at which to rebuild. At present, the class has been overrun by Priest rerolls and Horde players who embrace what the Paladin has become. More and more of the old guard are rerolling or outright quitting, seeing the fight as futile. The ball is in Blizzard's court now.

6:21 AM  
Blogger Vaelin said...

[evil grin, accompanied with maniacal laughter]

The Paladin forums have broken out into a full-on civil war. "Civil War" can even be found in several titles on the front page. Paladins are bathed in each others' blood. It's a thing of terrible beauty to look upon.

“Those who hate most fervently must have once loved deeply; those who want to deny the world must have once embraced what they now set on fire.” ~ Kurt Tucholsky

That pretty much sums it up for me. We are in the midst of a revolution.

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's an impressive quote you've got there... thanks

9:22 AM  
Blogger Micah said...

Well, I quit the game. Not over the Paladin issues, since I had been playing my Warrior for the most part since release, but because I'm tired of the botched PvP and the PvEspec/PvPspec issue.

PvPing as a Prot Warrior can be maddening - lacking an extra instant attack to finish people off (lol Devastate) is frustrating, as well as the lower damage overall. PvPing as a Holy Paladin is quite fun - I just don't want to have to be Holy to have fun.

So yeah, I'm done. My account is going away soon - I'm "gifting" it to someone for a "permanent loan", if you know what I mean. =D

Waiting on Warhammer - and maybe Fury.

I'll still check this site just so I can see news like this. It makes me smile when I see things in turmoil.

Peace!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

So I take it the post earlier about illumination only returning 50% mana is accurate?

This sucks major ass.

I have about 18% spell crit w/ holy light. I still go OOM in 5-man dungeons when I'm the only healer.

I can cast about 12 holy lights before my mana bar runs out, considering 18% crit rate, I can cast 14 holy lights, or after this nerf I can cast 13 holy lights. One heal doesn't seem like a lot, but it will make a big difference since I'm already OOM in 5 mans........

Blizzard sucks, why can't they just nerf shadow priests, thats the only reason we don't go OOM.


I'm glad I have a 70 mage.........

4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As yet, it is still unconfirmed Crazyflanger as we have no real evidence beyond the supposed 'leaked' notes. We'll all have to wait on the PTR before we are sure (and even then...).

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

what does it mean when the darkmoon cards here http://pastey.net/11284 show up here http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=94959528&pageNo=1&sid=1#0

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It means Holy Paladins are boned.

7:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I said before, I've got a very reliable source, and 2.1 currently has illumination at 50%.

Whether it stays that way is up to the players. Once it's on the test realm, you have to make a big fuss and they will be forced to keep looking at it. Doing so now isn't helpful, because it's not "official" yet.

That being said, I did a comparsion for my guild leader, a holy paladin. I calculated in spam healing fest, who would win: him in his gladiator's healing gear, or our best geared priest (2/5 tier 4, mostly karazhan epics). The result? For every three PVE priests, two gladiator paladins can spam just as much healing before going oom(in full holy light vs. greater heal mode, no inner focus or divine favor counted). With illumination at 50%, he loses about 1/6th his total healing done, and still comes out ahead- just not by the same factor.

Do I think holy paladins need a nerf? No, exactly for the reasons you said. But saying the nerf will be the "end of the paladin" is a little extreme. Even with this change, we'll still be better than priests.

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To one of the previous posts

"Even with this change, we'll still be better than priests."


Why bother nerfing illumination then?Just so we dont brake the "nerfed every second patch" tradition?

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home