07 January, 2007

Tank You Very Much, Gmou

Check Peleg's post in this thread (#50), to which Ghmou adds:
This hit me like a sack of potatoes (ton of bricks, whatever). It has worried me about Paladin tanking. This makes a whole lot of sense. If you have a Protection Warrior (which you will, if you're running end-game instances) then why let a Paladin tank at all? I know, I know, you bring the Paladin tanks along so that they can pick up adds and do off-tanking stuff. But if Protection Warriors can do that better, why bother? I can imagine that many really high end guilds will have all their Warriors spec Protection (if they haven't already), have all but one of their Paladins spec Holy (the remaining one, possibly the guild leader or class officer speccing Ret for Sanctified Crusader/ Rebuffer Strike), and all of their Druids (save one, the Druid class leader specced Moonkin) specced Restoration.

Do Paladins, Druids, and Warriors really need to be equal tanks? How equal? In all situations? What about the fact that Druid tanks are also excellent DPSers? Now, I'm worried. ='(
Good question. My theory is that all it will go down to is with dungeon design. We kick ass on 3+ target tanking thanks to Consecration and Holy Shield. If there's plenty of stuff like that in Burning Crusade, then we've got nothing to worry about. Tonight I actually respecced Protection just so our guild had an easier time on Fankriss (I was planning going Prot anyway for leveling, so I thought whattheheck I'll just do it now anyway).

He's also got a suggestion to improve Ardent Defender, which you should check out here and adds:
What do you think? Am I just crazy? Or should Paladins who spec that deep REALLY be competative tanks?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your goal is to be in a 'world/server first" guild there will always be min/maxxing. If you really want to tank as a paladin, join a guild that's friendlier. Sure you'll go through the content 'slower' but you'll have more fun doing it.

If you are just in it for the epeen and the purples, suck it up and do what they want you to. You made the choice, live with it. Blizzard can't change the opinions of small minded players.

3:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home