31 July, 2006

a/s/l/r?

In WoW, the only class that has true strict religious fervor arguably must be the Paladin even more so than the Priest (!). We're the zealots, the dogmatists, the persecutors - all in the name of the Light (IMHO, a religion which looks like Christianity but acts like Buddhism).

Curiously enough, fellow player Peacelight asks in the Paladin forum if Pallys are religious in real life. Interesting thread, though obviously the ultimate example of a thread which will be filled with flames and trolls if it carries on long enough.

I enjoy religion and have studied the major religions several times. All of them are very interesting in their own ways, but naturally I have a couple of close favorites. But this is probably why I am very attracted to the Paladin to begin with. Die hard religious jingoists who are the "good guys" (in an strictly opinionated Warcraft-sense), for some reason, I find very appealing. Nice to see that I'm not the only one who thinks that way.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not enough alcohol in the world to get me to comment on the thread, though I have been reading it.

As newcomer to ANY computer game more complicated than minesweeper, I chose the pally to play with some RL friends, a rogue and a warlock. We needed a tank and a healer, so I made my pally.

A special pony was very attractive, too.

And yes, I like the Pally Way: justice, nobility, self-sacrifice.

Those are admirable, culturally heroic traits. What's not to like?

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not religious, but I like the idea of a rightous zealot fighting for what is good in a RPG sort of way.

9:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

first of all LOVE the tillte that gave me a great chuckle. i like to play my pally cuz i get to take hits and help my pals in a fight its so awesome to pull off divine intervention to save a group.

6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I picked a pally because I liked the idea of a warrior who could heal, I played my pally because I loved my roll, tank, healer, rezzer and up till around 40 I could do good DPS too. I left my pally because I didn't enjoy end game duties, having to roll on cloth drops and explain it every time to groups was a pretty sad existance. I came back to my pally because in only 2 trees I can get just about everything the pally has to offer, with one build I can main heal and farm, and because plate is finally a viable way to equip myself.

3:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home