06 October, 2005

Thursday schmursay

WoW Expansion will be playable at BlizzCon. Sweet -- now if I only had a couple of hundred dollars available to buy the airplane and entry tickets, food and hotel costs I'd be all set. So sweet... I hope they arrange another one next year; I'm going to be so totally there.

Vaelin shot me an email telling me that the celebrity representative of the Paladin community is Bruce Willis, which I figure is due to this ytmnd.

Thinking about posting links of pictures to unexplored areas of the game on the community forums? Perma-ban for you! Seems awfully harsh for something that's allowed by describing it with a thousand words (i.e. you get no ban for doing it in text form).

Fangie's been awfully persistent at saying he has "no information at this time" but that he will provide it as more is available. Me thinks this is because he's gotten to know information that he will get information at an upcoming date. Hopefully not too distant from now considering 1.8 goes out live this Tuesday (huge guess on my part).

He also explains a question asked often, but that's as often explained quickly. You can't gain holy resistance. I hope our Paladin revamp is about giving us more Holy damage spells. We're unique as in we've only got one school, compared to the Shaman for example who got several different schools with different magics. I hope the developers take that in to account to create a more distinct uniqueness of the class.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I personally think that Fangtooth does know but doesn't have permission to reveal the information.

Blizzard has a bad habit of turtling on any bad news. Rarely do you see Blizzard admit they made a mistake or an error. The CMs will never admit, for example, that, perhaps, the Paladin class was poorly implemented.

I am unsure of my feelings at this point. It has been 5 months since the Paladin class was first reviewed. And, given that Paladin improvements are not in Patch 1.8 (probably released just before BlizzCon) and with BlizzCon happening at the end of the month, Paladins will probably not see any improvements until late November.

This could mean one of two things. First, the developers really don't care about the Paladin class and are just pushing it off until they absolutely have to make changes. Or, second, (and the one I hope is true), they are revamping the Paladin class so much that it's taking a long time to implement.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Mastgrr said...

Of course CMs won't "admit" stuff like that -- they're not responsible. They don't speak *for* the class developers, they just have the job to forward information that the developers think the community is ready to know. In this case it might've been that Fangtooth was given information on that they're planning on giving new info on the class soon with no specifics on what it might be, and that's something he's taken in to account and thus he responds and says that things will be explained when more information is available (= aka when the developer thinks it's ready).

And I think your second point is correct. I've speculated earlier that they actually had scheduled the class improvements to begin earlier this year -- like, around May/June, but then it got pushed back, most likely due to work on the expansion pack and such things.

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I personally think people give Fangy too much grief on the boards. He's just a spokesman, essentially. He's not responsible for the current state of the Paladin class.

That being said, I also don't think Fangtooth is a Paladin friend. Unlike some of the other CMs (Caydiem and Eyonix in particular), I seriously doubt that Fangtooth has been an advocate for Paladin changes. Despite his protestations, I think he was ordered by Blizzard to start a Paladin.

As to my second point, I'm gonna be at BlizzCon with a fellow guildie and I'm gonna make a pest of myself to the developers.

12:30 AM  
Blogger Mastgrr said...

Cool! Take pictures at Blizzcon :)

But I don't think pestering the developers is going to accomplish anything. While I think they kind of underestimate the anger that can build up because they're not personally talking to the community, they really have the philosophy of if it's going to be done it's going to be done right.

It's a very time consuming process to just do these small things: reviewing currently known problems with the class, collecting user data, analyzing the data, brainstorming solutions, evaluate the options, do testing, further testing, etc.

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, mast, I live by the squeaky wheel theory of life.

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease!"

I want some grease, I'm gonna squeak!

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home